You may not have heard of Marisa Peer, but you will have heard of her clients – Billionaires, Hollywood ‘A’ Listers, and Olympic greats. They have one thing in common – they are all super achievers. They are in the top 1% of the population. As the leading hypnotherapist and psychotherapist in the UK, she noticed that her clients had 5 key mental models or beliefs that they shared which allowed them to be remarkable. You can learn these 5 models and turbo charge your success.
As entrepreneurs and business leaders we need to master the inner game to win the outer game of business. I had an opportunity to meet Marisa and her equally successful husband, John, at Afest in Croatia. Marisa was voted the top speaker at this event. I had an opportunity to have lunch with the both of them. Marisa shares 5 key beliefs her super achiever clients have that you too can adopt:
- Do what you hate to get where you want to be – Super achievers have understood the price of membership to be in the top 1% and they are willing to pay that price. It will mean sometimes doing things that you hate. It could be getting up and training early. It could be making 25 cold calls per day.
- Do what you hate first – Super achievers slay their dragons at the start of the day. They don’t postpone the things they hate to later in the day. They understand that there is power in taking head on the thing you hate. Having done the thing they hate they start the day with a sense of achievement that carries momentum to the remaining part of the day.
- Take action every day – Super achievers understand that momentum comes from taking daily deliberate actions, even if they are small steps. They do not even take a day off, not even Sundays! The habit of taking daily action allows them to continue to make progress and not be side tracked. Procrastination does not stand a chance with this mindset.
- Don’t let rejection slow you down or stop you – Super achievers know that to get what they want they will have to face rejection. I know when I was starting BNI India there were enough naysayers saying that this would not work in India. I used to say to them that with or without you I was going to do this. Don’t let other people’s opinions stop you from pursuing your dreams. It’s important that you have a clear compelling vision that inspires you despite what others may say.
- Have the natural ability to delay gratification – Super achievers reward themselves after they do what they hate. They know that they have to delay gratification after they have achieved certain milestones. Too often we reward effort in society, but the real world only rewards achievement. A simple way to do it is have “if then” rules. For example if you increase your sales by 25% in the next quarter then you will go to Goa to celebrate.
So which mental model do you resonate with? Which one would you like to adopt first to take your life to the next level?